2.11.2011

tamarind

Thought I'd share a little interesting discovery. 

My favorite dish right now is Pad Thai.  I could eat it every day.  Seriously.  So upon learning there was no Thai restaurant in Abuja, I ate a ton of it to hopefully get my fill before the move.  No such luck.  We bought a ton of the ingredients for it and they will arrive with our HHE - eventually.

In the meantime, we've managed to find the ingredients around town and tonight Joey is making me Pad Thai.  So excited!  (I have an awesome husband.)  But the one ingredient we had a hard time finding, both here and in DC, was tamarind paste.  So first I started searching substitutes (I read lime juice works alright), then I decided just to see what it looked like.  Here's the picture from Wikipedia:


These trees grow everywhere here!  The pods fall all over the ground!  From Wikipedia: "Tamarindus indica is indigenous to tropical Africa, particularly where it continues to grow wild in Sudan; it is also cultivated in Cameroon, Nigeria and Tanzania."  Who knew?

The other, almost as exciting, discovery is that a Thai restaurant is opening next week.  I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, but hey, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment